collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Recent Posts

bird of the year by Calvin
[Today at 12:38:10 PM]

GOOD MORNING YA ALL by swaggie
[Today at 10:12:22 AM]

Lockys Loft by The Westerner
[Today at 10:03:24 AM]

NIPA Old Bird Racing Results 2014 by Paul S Fairweather
[Today at 10:03:07 AM]

IRISH SOUTH ROAD FEDERATION Old Birds Racing Results 2014 by Paul S Fairweather
[Today at 09:00:08 AM]

ANZAC DAY by The Westerner
[Today at 08:33:06 AM]

People having trouble reporting Aust birds by Floyd
[Yesterday at 08:54:50 PM]

KAPYONG DAY - (1951) by The Westerner
[Yesterday at 12:38:50 PM]

cracked corn ?? by MADDOG
[Yesterday at 10:17:16 AM]

GOOD NIGHT FROM ME AND good night from you!!!!!! by The Westerner
[April 23, 2014, 09:42:07 PM]

how do homing pigeons navigate? by Baron
[April 23, 2014, 08:26:33 PM]

Whats for dinner by The Westerner
[April 23, 2014, 08:09:52 PM]

NEW PUBLICITY GROUP FOR VIC by Lot 57
[April 23, 2014, 06:39:26 PM]

TOSSING by The Westerner
[April 23, 2014, 03:24:39 PM]

Canker by swaggie
[April 23, 2014, 12:07:19 PM]

Quality Racing Pigeons by Chewy
[April 22, 2014, 09:02:04 PM]

Author Topic: PIGEON HABITS  (Read 1070 times)

Offline Harryukie

• Club Champion
Re: PIGEON HABITS
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2013, 10:38:46 PM »
Swaggie - very funny  laugh1

While feeding the stock birds today I remembered another strange behaviour I saw a couple weeks ago while sitting on a milk crate (what we do without them) which I do often these days and just watch the birds. One of the joys of retiring. I have that heavy galvanised mesh on the flyout - I've seen the birds licking the mesh many times if you know what I mean many years ago. Perhaps as the zinc gets old it oxidises and this new product may be accessible to the pigeons? I believe feed grown in Australia is deficient in Zinc which it could be zinc they were after? Though I do give them a variety of grits and "pink powder". However in this recent incident I saw a hen picking at the dry and dusty old down feathers (that are a bit stringy) which collect on the mesh as if they were some sort of a treat. Looking for them in fact. Maybe looking for them in the same as those you peck amongst the droppings? But there were plenty of droppings on the floor as I have a dry litter system. Is this the equivalent of a dog eating grass because they are wormy or have a stomach problem?

Cheers
Harryukie

Offline Floyd

• Fed Champion
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2013, 10:41:28 PM »
When doing some farm fencing a few ago, I can recall as we drilled the hole and 'fresh' dirt was dumped alongside the hole, the cows would come around and eat mouthfuls of this fresh soil.    They know something we dont.  !!

In the outback, station cattle will eat the bones of dead cattle, possibly chasing calcium.  -  who knows  ??

Offline Harryukie

• Club Champion
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2013, 10:49:37 PM »
Forgot to state in my previous post that the hen was actually swallowing the down feathers on the mesh.

Re Floyd's post: When travelling to work by train, I often noticed feral pigeons pecking away at the red clay bands in a particular rail cutting. I know we give pieons these days various commercial picking stones and "pink powder", but I recall in the old days fliers would give some clay. There must be something in clay they seek. Red clay maybe contains iron - something else which is deicient in a lot of our feeds? But the ferals have to improvise.

Cheers
Harryukie